Made from heavy, puncture-resistant vinyl, and built with two separate inflatable compartments, the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is the go-to inflatable kayak for anyone on a budget. Much sturdier than the price tag might suggest, this is a kayak you can take out for hours at a time, and still make it back!
- Length 10′ 3″
- Width 36″
- Height 20″
- Weight 31lbs
- Boston valves for quick inflation / deflation
- Inflatable “I-Beam=” floor for added rigidity
- Supplied with repair kit
- Max. load: 250lbs
The Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is a budget 2-seater inflatable boat. It’s actually surprisingly comfortable and usable, considering the price tag, and it’s definitely a vessel you could catch a few fish from, in calm conditions. The boat comes with its own 84″ aluminium paddles, plus a repair pack, and its Boston valves make for easy inflation and deflation.
Pros of Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Excellent value for money
- Most accessories are included
- Lightweight and collapsible, so very easy to transport
- Accommodates two anglers at the same time
- Two main separate air chambers
- “I-Beam” design for added rigidity
- Decent storage capacity- storage duffle bag
- Overall, a good starter kayak
Cons of Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Not for serious kayak fishers
- Poor performance and high sides mean it’s easily affected by current and wind
- Valves may leak and need replacing
- Durability only goes so far – it will puncture if treated roughly
The best feature of the Intex Explorer K2 Fishing Kayak is probably its three-way air chamber design. This ensured you don’t sink if you happen to puncture the hull. Once one chamber gets torn, the remaining two have the capacity to keep the boat afloat and get you to shore.
As you may expect at this price point, some of the fixtures and fittings are a little weak. The skeg and valves aren’t the best, and are prone to breaking, so please treat them with care.
My Personal Tips
The main issue to think about is inflation. Don’t over-inflate, and try to use caution when using the pump, or you may inadvertently create leaky valves. The seats don’t need to be rock hard, so use a bit of trial and error until you have a set-up you’re happy with. There’s a nice demonstration video here.
Nearly 1500 customers can’t be wrong. This kayak rates a solid 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon, and most seem to be extremely happy with their purchase. Beware though, a few of those who didn’t like the Explorer were fishermen. If you’re an experienced kayaker, this probably isn’t what you’re looking for.
How to buy
This kayak is available for purchase on Amazon. Buy it now >>
This is a great little kayak for the money, and surprisingly stable. It tracks well, especially with the skeg attached, the seats are comfortable if not over-inflated (they don’t need to be rock hard), and the material seems very durable. It’s also nice and spacious – plenty of room for your fishing gear.